What is Cancer: Thriving and Surviving?
Cancer: Thriving and Surviving
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving (the Cancer Self-Management Program) is a 6-week workshop.
- It teaches real-life skills for living a full, healthy life for people affected by cancer.
- Classes are fun and interactive. Participants share their successes and build a common source of support.
- The workshop builds confidence around managing health, staying active, and enjoying life.
Some counties are now offering:
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program - a chronic disease self-management workshop that is open to anyone with a physical or mental health condition.
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes Self-Management Program - a chronic disease self-management program that specifically targets people with diabetes and their needs.
- Two trained leaders at each location. At least one of them has been affected by cancer.
- Free, but some sites may charge a small fee to cover the cost of the course materials, which includes a book and a CD.
What You Will Learn:
- Resources, skills, and action planning to give you a sense of greater control over life with cancer.
- People with cancer, survivors, family, friends or caregivers.
- A 6-week program that meets 2 to 2½ hours each week.
- Managing symptoms, such as pain, frustration, isolation and poor sleep
- Fatigue management and getting help
- Living with uncertainty
- Future plans for health care
- Cancer and changes to your body
- Making decisions about treatments and complementary therapies
- Cancer and relationships
- Working with your health care team
- Setting weekly goals
- Effective problem solving
- Set priorities
- Making better nutrition and exercise choices
Description of Workshops
- The Cancer: Thriving and Surviving (CTS) workshop was adapted from the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program developed by Stanford University and has been tested for effectiveness.
- For more information, please go to the Self-Management Resource Center website at https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/cancer-thriving-and-surviving/.
- Find a workshop near you by calling your local health department or visit the state website at https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/health/health-program-areas/localdepartments.html for contact information.