Supervisor of the Year
Each year an outstanding public school supervisor earns distinction as the Tennessee Department of Education Supervisor of the Year (SOY). This honor is earned by demonstrating superior abilities in:
- managing and motivating students and faculties;
- evoking high standards;
- demonstrating a commitment to excellence;
- implementing innovative programs; and
- having a track record of exceptional gains in student learning.
The winner is honored annually at the Principal and Supervisor of the Year Banquet.
Eligibility & Selection Process
A Supervisor of the Year nominee must:
- Have a minimum of eight years of professional experience in public schools.
- Have a minimum of three years of experience as an administrator.
- At all levels of recognition, must be employed as a supervisor in a Tennessee public school system.
Directors of schools will nominate one supervisor from the district using the online SOY Nomination Form.
The 2020-21 nomination deadline is Feb. 28, 2020.
*In addition to the eight CORE regions, Shelby County Schools and the municipal districts that lie within the borders of Shelby County will be considered a 9th SSC area for the SOY selection program.
- Beginning in April, a panel of independent reviewers with representatives from each CORE region convene to score written applications submitted by each nominee. Application scores are averaged to select nine finalists, one from each CORE region and the Shelby County-Municipals group.
- Each finalist’s school must lie within the boundaries of the CORE area that he or she is chosen to represent.
- Finalists will be notified of their status by July.
- In August, the nine finalists progress to the interview stage of the selection process.
- The Grand Division winners and the Tennessee Supervisor of the Year are selected by combining each nominee’s average application score and average interview score.
Projected 2019-20 Timeline
|By 12 p.m. CT
Feb. 28, 2020
Directors of schools (or their designees) submit the nomination form for SOY
|March 2||Department sends nominees the link to the SOY application|
|By 12 p.m. CT on Apr. 1, 2020||By 12 p.m. CT on Apr. 1, 2020|
|April||A panel of independent reviewers from all CORE regions selects one principal from each CORE region/area to advance as a finalist to the interview stage|
|July||Announcement of the nine Supervisor of the Year finalists|
|August||Interviews held at the Andrew Johnson Tower in Nashville|
|Fall 2020||Supervisor of the Year and Principal of the Year recognition banquet in Nashville|
|2019-20||Michelle Goad||Gibson County SSD|
|2018-19||Maria Warren||Loudon County|
|2017-18||Stacia Lewis, Ed.D.||Sevier County|
|2016-17||Jennifer Brown||Sumner County|
|2015-16||Sharon Griffin||Shelby County|
|2014-15||Timothy Parrott||Anderson County|
|2013-14||Marcia Melton||Cannon County|
|2012-13||Bobby Cox||Warren County|
|2011-12||B.J. Worthington||Clarksville-Montgomery County|
|2010-11||Dianne Williams||Cheatham County|
|2009-10||Connie Campbell||Jefferson County|
|2008-09||Dr. David Timbs||Johnson County|
|2007-08||Glee Moore||Sumner County|
|2006-07||Nancy Wagner||Kingsport City|
|2005-06||Charlotte Britton||Hawkins County|
|2004-05||Dr. Shirley R. Ellis||Carter County|
|2003-04||Paul Coggins||Wayne County|
|2002-03||Susan Bunch||Henderson County|
|2001-02||Eleanor Hayes||Sevier County|
|2000-01||Judith Beaty||Monroe County|
|1999-00||Harriet Shelby||Lauderdale County|
|1998-99||Thomas Parks||Maury County|
|1997-98||Minnie Miller||Johnson County|
|1996-97||Sue Boyer||Knox County|
|1995-96||Debra Cline||Sevier County|
|1994-95||Dr. Christine Ejlali||Washington County|
|1993-94||Juanita Henson||Lawrence County|
|1991-92||Dr. Bruce Mays||McNairy County|
|1991-92||Bobby Snider||Henderson County|
|1990-91||Georgia Sullivan||Williamson County|
|1989-90||Dr. Jane Qualls||Alcoa City|
|1988-89||Dr. Hilda Nason||Paris Special|
|1987-88||Margaret Salsbury||Murfreesboro City|
|1986-87||Thelma Seavers||Milan Special|
|1985-86||Betty Sparks||Monroe County|
|1984-85||Mary Hopkins||Fayetteville City|
|1983-84||Joe Minor||Tennessee Department of Education|
|1982-83||Beecher Clapp||Knoxville City|
|1981-82||Kathleen Wright||McNairy County|