Educator Licensure & Preparation
The department works to issue licenses efficiently to Tennessee educators in accordance with legislative codes and state board rules and regulations and policies. The office of educator licensure and preparation is responsible for the issuance of all Tennessee educator licenses, and approval of educator preparation programs.
· Initial In-state Licensure applications received the week of December 6, 2021
· Out of State Licensure applications received the week of October 25, 2021
· Reactivation applications received the week of November 8, 2021
· Renewal applications received the week of August 23, 2021
· Advancement applications received the week of August 2, 2021
· Additional Endorsement applications received the week of October 11, 2021
· Additional Degrees applications received the week of December 20, 2021
· Initial Permit or Waiver applications received the week of October 11, 2021
· Reactivation Permit or Waiver applications received the week of October 11, 2021
· Instructional Leadership Licensure applications received the week of December 6, 2021
· Professional Development Point (PDP) requests received the week of December 27, 2021
To help us process applications efficiently, please wait at least six weeks after submitting yourapplication before contacting our office with any concerns.
If you would like to print a copy of your Tennessee teaching license, please follow the steps below to view and print your license:
- Visit https://tdoe.tncompass.org/Public/Search
- Enter your first and last name or license number
- Select “View License”
- Select “Print”
The printed version of your Tennessee teaching license will be official, however, please note that at this time our system does not allow for a printed copy suitable for framing.
Manage Your Tennessee License
To apply for a new Tennessee license or take action on a current license, visit TNCompass. First time users will need to register for an account. All licensure transactions (e.g., apply, advance, renew, etc.) must be submitted electronically through TNCompass. The department no longer accepts paper applications.
Out-of-State Educator Assessment Waiver Request
The passage of Section 2 of Chapter 125 of the Public Acts of 2021, amends TCA 49-5-108(c)(5)(C) to create additional flexibility for the renewal/advancement of Practitioner 1st Issuance licenses issued on the basis of the educator holding a professional-level license in a state other than Tennessee at the time of initial issuance of the Practitioner 1st Issuance license.
Educators who did not receive a level of overall effectiveness (LOE) of above expectations or significantly above expectations during one (1) or both of the two (2) years immediately following the issuance of the educator’s Practitioner 1st Issuance license, may choose to use most recent LOE that is available to demonstrate an effectiveness level of above expectations or significantly above expectations or may submit a director recommendation to be exempted from professional assessment requirements.
Additional information is available in the Out-of-State Educator Assessment Waiver form (Licensure Forms –Other Forms section).
Tennessee Teacher Job Connection
The department has created a resource for teachers seeking employment in Tennessee districts. Job-seeking teachers are encouraged to visit to connect with HR professionals from districts across the state. Interested educators should complete this form. New interest forms are shared with Tennessee districts on a weekly basis.
Contact the Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation
Licensure Inquiries: Educator.Licensure@tn.gov
Preparation Inquiries: Educator.Preparation@tn.gov
9th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243