Educator Licensure & Preparation
The department works to issue licenses efficiently to Tennessee educators in accordance with legislative codes and state board rules and regulations and policies. The office of educator licensure and preparation is responsible for the issuance of all Tennessee educator licenses, and approval of educator preparation programs.
- Initial In-state Licensure applications received the week of May 25, 2020
- Out of State Licensure applications received the week of June 1, 2020
- Renewal applications received the week of June 22, 2020
- Advancement applications received the week of June 1, 2020
- Additional Degrees applications received the week of May 25, 2020
- Endorsement applications received the week of June 1, 2020
- Instructional Leadership Licensure applications received the week of June 1, 2020
- Reactivation applications received the week of June 22, 2020
To help us process applications efficiently, please wait at least six weeks after submitting your application before contacting our office with any concerns.
If you would like to print a copy of your Tennessee teaching license, please follow the steps below to view and print your license:
- Visit https://tdoe.tncompass.org/Public/Search
- Enter your first and last name or license number
- Select “View License”
- Select “Print”
The printed version of your Tennessee teaching license will be official, however, please note that at this time our system does not allow for a printed copy suitable for framing.
Manage Your Tennessee License
To apply for a new Tennessee license or take action on a current license, visit TNCompass. First time users will need to register for an account. All licensure transactions (e.g., apply, advance, renew, etc.) must be submitted electronically through TNCompass. The department no longer accepts paper applications.
Tennessee Teacher Job Connection
The department has created a resource for teachers seeking employment in Tennessee districts. Job-seeking teachers are encouraged to visit to connect with HR professionals from districts across the state. Interested educators should complete this form. New interest forms are shared with Tennessee districts on a weekly basis.
Licensure Call Center Closed
The Licensure Call Center will be closed through August 29. All licensure transactions may still be completed at www.TNCompass.org, and will be processed by licensure specialists in the order of receipt. Educators may email Educator.Licensure@tn.gov with questions regarding licensure and Educator.Preparation@tn.gov with any preparation related questions. Designated staff from our office will monitor these accounts and respond as soon as possible. Please check the Tennessee Department of education website, tn.gov/education, for any additional updates.
The office of educator licensure and preparation thanks you for your patience and understanding.
To apply for a new Tennessee license or take action on a current license, visit TNCompass. First time users will need to register for an account. All licensure transactions (e.g., apply, advance, renew, etc.) must be submitted electronically through TNCompass. The department no longer accepts paper applications. To have your credentials evaluated for Tennessee licensure eligibility, please submit the desired transaction in TNCompass for review by a licensure specialist.
Licensure and Preparation FAQs
Licensure and Preparation Website Feedback
Thank you for visiting our site. The office of educator licensure and preparation (OELP) is committed to providing high quality customer service and information. Please take a moment to complete this Licensure and Preparation Website Survey regarding your experience with our redesigned website. Your feedback will inform our continued efforts to develop and maintain a website that serves as a useful tool for individuals seeking information about educator licensure and preparation in Tennessee.
News & Notes
Flexibility for Out-of-State Licensure Candidates
As a reminder, in spring 2018 state legislature passed public chapter 573, which offers flexibility for educators who are issued a Tennessee practitioner license based on holding a professional license in another state. Effective July 1, 2018, out-of-state licensure candidates are not required to take an assessment to advance or renew a license if:
- At the time of application for an initial license, the candidate possessed an active educator license comparable to the Tennessee professional license from a state with which Tennessee has reciprocity;
- The candidate has been employed in a public school in the candidate’s area of endorsement; and
- The candidate earned a level of overall effectiveness (LOE) rating of “above expectations” (level 4) or “significantly above expectations” (level 5) in the first two years immediately following the issuance of the Tennessee practitioner license. Note: The final year of the validity period of the practitioner license cannot be considered for this purpose.
This flexibility may be applied for anyone who holds a Tennessee practitioner license that was issued based on holding an out-of-state professional-level license, including those issued prior to the effective date of this legislation.
Contact the Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation
Licensure Inquiries: Educator.Licensure@tn.gov
Preparation Inquiries: Educator.Preparation@tn.gov
Licensure Call Center: (615) 532-4885
Fax: (615) 532-1448
9th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243