In an increasingly complex global economy, all students must be prepared with intellectual, technical, and social skills needed to compete and contribute meaningfully to their communities. For most, this will mean completing some postsecondary education or training; for all, it will mean learning about themselves and the world of work.
Work-based learning (WBL) is a proactive approach to bridging the gap between high school and high-demand, high-skill careers in Tennessee. Students build on classroom-based instruction to develop employability skills that prepare them for success in postsecondary education and future careers. Through experiences like internships, apprenticeships, and paid work experience, juniors and seniors (16 years or older) may earn high school credit for capstone WBL experiences. WBL coordinators are educators who are trained and certified by the department to coordinate these WBL experiences for students.
- Presentations on WBL
- Work-Based Learning's Role in Career Readiness (WBL Summit)
- Implementing WBL: Action Steps and Practical Advice for Industry (WBL Summit)
- WBL in Tennessee (National Governor's Association)
- For questions about WBL training and certification, please email: WBL.email@example.com
- For questions specific to WBL Special Education transitions, please email: Blake.A.Shearer@tn.gov.
WBL Email Updates
For important WBL updates, please sign up for the email list.
- Personalized Learning Plan Packet for WBL – Required WBL paperwork. For more information, see the WBL Policy Guide.
- Child Labor Law Overview
- WBL: TN Child Labor Law Quick Reference Guide
- TDOE Apprenticeship WBL Glossary
- WBL Framework
- WBL Policy Guide
- WBL: Career Practicum Standards
- WBL: Special Education Transition
- Career Exploration Standards
- WBL Course Standards - For additional course information, visit our Career Clusters page and look for Work-Based Learning.
- WBL Student Placement Portal - for details, see the 2016-17 WBL Updates section.
- WBL Portal Guide
- Service-Learning and Work-Based Learning Requirements
Summer 2021 WBL Certification/Recertification Training
This summer, WBL Certification and Recertification Training will be completed exclusively online.
Click here to register for Summer 2021 WBL Certification or Recertification online training. Registration will remain open through Friday, June 25.
After completing the registration, participants will receive an email with details about accessing and completing the training. Online certification and recertification courses will be available on the department’s learning management system through close of business Friday, July 16.
For additional support with the online course, or to discuss WBL implementation strategies, email Matthew.Spinella@tn.gov