Adult-Size Changing Tables in Tennessee
The Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) is excited to announce a new $1 million grant program for Tennessee businesses and municipal governments to assist with the cost of installing adult-size changing tables.
Approximately 200,000 Tennesseans, or 4 percent of the state’s population, need help with one or more activities of daily living, such as toileting. Currently, those who need access to adult-sized changing tables must choose between using unhygienic settings, like a restroom floor, or staying home, causing isolation from their communities. This is a problem not only for those who need access to adult-sized changing tables, but for caregivers, such as family members and friends. They too want to spend time in their community with those they support but are limited because of the lack of access to safe and hygienic toileting settings.
Under the new grant program, $5,000 grants will be awarded to 200 businesses and municipalities in Tennessee who install universal adult changing tables that are open to the public. The grant, funded by the Tennessee General Assembly in the FY23 budget, will increase the availability of adult-size changing tables in public settings across the state of Tennessee. The universal design of these adult-size changing tables will allow people of all ages and abilities to access safe, dignified, and hygienic toileting experiences. These changing tables are an important way for businesses to promote inclusion of all Tennesseans in their community.
Interested in Installing a Table?
Tables can range in cost, with recommended models costing between approximately $2445 to $6200.
Best practices for changing tables include:
- Powered and height-adjustable, for safety of the person and caregiver assisting
- Placed in single occupancy restrooms, universal to gender
- Room size of at least 10x14.6 ft. This allows for a turning radius of 60” for the wheelchair in the middle of the room and 36” of space at one end of the table
- Clear signage at the entrance of the building.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for a universal adult changing table, please fill out the application at this link. Be prepared to provide:
- Name of organization
- Contact email
- State of Tennessee Edison ID or W9
- Location of proposed installation site
- Anticipated breakdown of costs
- Anticipated timeframe to complete installation
The DIDD team may contact you for clarification or further information.
- MaxAbility, a changing table vendor, is available to provide technical assistance about table specifications and installation of the tables at email@example.com.
- Smirthwaite, a changing table vendor, is also available to provide technical assistance about table specifications and installation of the tables at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the state does not endorse any particular vendor.
If you have additional questions about tables, installation, or other components of this grant program, please contact the Public Affairs inbox at PublicAffairs.DIDD@tn.gov . We will assist in directing your question to the appropriate party.
Thanks to the Tennessee Council on Developmental Disabilities for their advocacy on this important issue. You can learn more about the origin of this grant program on the Counci’s website.