Helping Heroes Grant
The Helping Heroes Grant is established and funded from the net proceeds of the state lottery and awarded to US veterans who were honorably discharged or who are a former or current member of a reserve or TN National Guard unit.
The award amount is $1,000 per semester for a student who successfully completes twelve (12) or more semester hours with no failing grade as the final grade for the course. The student shall receive $500 per semester for successfully completing six (6) to eleven (11) semester hours with no failing grade as a final grade for the course. The student shall not receive an award if enrolled in fewer than six (6) semester hours.
The Helping Heroes Grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to be eligible, the student must:
- Be an honorably discharged veteran who had formally served the armed forces of the United States, or a former or current member of a reserve or Tennessee National Guard unit who was called into active military service of the United States
- Be a Tennessee resident for one year preceding the date of application for this grant
- Be awarded the following:
- Iraq Campaign Medal;
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal; or
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, on or after Sept. 11, 2001
- Enroll at an eligible 2-year or 4-year postsecondary institution (Click Here for a listing.)
- Have not earned a baccalaureate degree;
- Not be in default on a federal Title IV educational loan or Tennessee educational loan;
- Not owe a refund on a federal Title IV student financial aid program or a Tennessee student financial aid program;
- Be in compliance with federal drug-free rules and laws for receiving financial assistance;
- Not be incarcerated;
- Meet each qualification relating to this grant and applicable to the student; and
- Not be required to meet any academic standard at the time of enrollment in order to be eligible for this grant.
- Award of a Helping Heroes Grant shall be made after the completion of a semester, so long as the student successfully completes the course with a non-failing grade as the final grade for the course.
- Successful completion of six (6) or more semester hours while enrolled at an eligible 2-year or 4-year postsecondary institution with no failing grade as the final grade for the courses
- Grant may be awarded for a maximum of eight (8) “full” semesters; 6-11 semester hours completed constitutes ½ semester
- Grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis
Complete the application for a Helping Heroes Grant for each academic year. The application processing deadline are: September 1 (or the following business day) for fall enrollment, February 1 (or the following business day) for spring, or May 1 (or the following business day) for summer enrollment. Please mail your DD-214 to the address below or fax it to the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation at (615) 741-6101.
Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
312 Rosa Parks Blvd, 9th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
- Receive the award for eight (8) full semesters have passed; or
- Eighth anniversary of the veteran’s honorable discharge from military service; whichever comes first; or
- Earning a baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first