State Public Policy and Legislative Priorities
Go-to state disability resource: Tennessee Disability Pathfinder COVID-19 page. Pathfinder is prepared to take calls for disability-related questions, including through their multi-cultural program: 800-640-4636.
For the most up-to-date public health information, the TN Dept. of Health is updating this page every day at 2 p.m. The Governor addresses Tennesseans regarding the state's response every day at 3 p.m.and maintains this COVID-19 page.
Guidance from other state agencies providing key disability services:
· The Dept. of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: https://www.tn.gov/didd/covid-19.html
· The Division of TennCare: https://www.tn.gov/tenncare/information-statistics/tenncare-information-about-coronavirus.html
· The Dept. of Health Children’s Special Services: https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/mch-cyshcn/mch-cyshcn-css.html
· Commission on Aging and Disability: https://www.tn.gov/aging/news-and-events/covid-19-resources.html
The 111th General Assembly adjourned due to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 20, 2020. Download the Council’s final bill report of 2020 here. The Council’s priority legislation did pass:
Sponsors: Sen. Massey, Becky; Rep. Howell, Dan
Summary: the "Tennessee Accessible Transportation and Mobility Act of 2020;" creates the state’s first office of accessible transportation at the Dept. of Transportation. Requires an annual report about accessible transportation in Tennessee, a 5 year strategic plan, and an advisory group of stakeholders including people who use accessible transportation.
State Budget Update 2020-21
- House, Senate pass barebones budget (TN Journal)
Keep up to date on disability policy news
Subscribe to the Council’s Weekly Policy Newsletter.
Other state resources on public policy
- Disability Policy Alliance - A public policy collaborative that includes The Arc Tennessee, Disability Rights Tennessee, and the Council.
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center UCEDD Public Policy Team
- Tennessee Disability Coalition