Officer Death Benefits
Compensation for Death of Law Enforcement Officer Killed in the Line of Duty
Tenn. Code Ann. § 7-51-208 authorizes a payment of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) to the estate of certain law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
To be eligible for compensation, each of the following criteria must be met:
1. The deceased law enforcement officer must have been an employee of a state, municipality, or political sub-division of the State of Tennessee;
2. The deceased law enforcement officer must have been a law enforcement officer with such department. Law enforcement officer means the sheriff, sheriff’s deputies, or any police officer employed by the municipality or political sub-division of the state of Tennessee;
3. The deceased law enforcement officer’s primary responsibility must have been the prevention and detection of crime and the apprehension of offenders; and
4. The death must have occurred as a result of the actual discharge of the duties of the position of a law enforcement officer.
To receive compensation conferred by this statute, the executor, administrator or other appropriate representative of the estate of a law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty must apply to the Commissioner of the Department of Commerce and Insurance.
The application for compensation shall include all of the following documentation:
1. A cover letter from the applicant requesting the payment;
2. Proof that the applicant is authorized to act on behalf of the deceased law enforcement officer’s estate (e.g., letters testamentary or letters of administration);
3. A notarized and signed AFFIDAVIT from an appropriate local government official or the sheriff, or the chief of police of the deceased law enforcement officer’s department containing the following:
a) Confirmation of the deceased’s employment status as a law enforcement officer, as defined by Tenn. Code Ann. § 7-51-208(a)(2), required to prevent and detect crime and apprehend offenders;
b) Name of the department;
c) Date of death; and
d) A statement from the law enforcement officer’s department that the law enforcement officer’s death occurred as a result of the discharge of responsibilities in the line of duty.
4. A true copy of the deceased’s death certificate or, in the Commissioner’s or designee’s discretion, a copy of a true copy.
Please submit the application, affidavit and required documentation to:
TN Department of Commerce & Insurance
ATTN: Fiscal Director
Davy Crockett Building, 11th Floor
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Questions concerning application or payments should be directed to the Department’s Chief of Fiscal Officer at (615) 741-2241.