Youth Leadership Academy: School to Life (S2L)
Partnership with TN's Centers for Independent Living
"School 2 Life" Youth Leadership Academy
In 2016, the Council launched a new partnership with TN's Centers for Independent Living (CILs) on a multi-year initiative to provide training to transition-aged youth across the state.
The Council and CILs will host and facilitate a 3–4 day training for high school students with disabilities in different parts of the state, with the goal of placing youth exiting high school on a positive path towards post-secondary training, education, employment and living more independently. We will work together to develop curriculum, agenda, selection criteria for participants, budget, local arrangements, and evaluation tools and process. Each training will be held in proximity to the CILs.
The first Academy was held in Paris, TN in June 2017 in partnership with T.A.R.P. Center for Independent Living (Training, Advocacy, Referral, Peer Support and Transition).
What topics do the Academies cover?
- The History of the Self-Advocacy and Independent Living Movements
- The Importance of Speaking up for Yourself
- State and Community Resources
- Developing Independent Living Skills
- Developing a One-Page Plan/Profiles
- Putting Technology to Work for You
- Communicating with Legislators / Telling Your Story
Partners in Policymaking Director
Ned Andrew Solomon