Find a Prescription Drug Take-Back Box
Prescription drug take-back boxes provide a place where unused prescription drugs can be safely disposed. These permanent boxes prevent prescription and over-the-counter medications from getting into the hands of children and into the waterways. They make sure they are disposed of in a safe, environmentally-friendly manner. Medication collection events and programs are part of a nationwide effort to reduce the amount of pharmaceutical products being flushed or poured down drains.
Check the Prescription drug take-back map to find your closest take-back location. Please contact facility prior to drop off to confirm guidelines.
Items Accepted for the Pharmaceutical Collection Program
- Liquid medications (in leak-proof containers)
- Medicated ointment, lotions, or drops
- Pills in any packaging (glass bottles, plastic containers, plastic bags, etc.)
- Over-the-counter medications Liquid medications (in leak-proof containers)
- Pet medications
Items Not Accepted in the Program
- Blood sugar equipment
- Illegal drugs & narcotics (although police will accept these items if placed in the container)
- IV bags
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Personal care products (shampoo, lotions, etc)
Safe At-Home Disposal
Do not flush or pour medications down the drain. Remove medication from original packaging and mix with an undesirable substance such kitty litter or used coffee grounds. Place the mixture in a bag and throw in your trash container. Remove and destroy any personal information on the empty medicine container and recycle the empty container.