Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR)
Are you or a loved one diagnosed with a mental illness and entering a nursing facility? Inquire about a Pre-admission Screening and Resident Review or PASRR.
PASRR is a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation for:
- Applicants to Medicaid-certified nursing facilities who have mental illness, as measured by the PASRR Level I screen.
- Residents in a Medicaid-certified nursing facility referred through a Level II screen or a Change in Status screen.
PASRR evaluations determine:
- If nursing facility placement is appropriate for individuals with mental illness.
- What specialized services are necessary for a person diagnosed with mental illness while living in a nursing facility.
How PASRR works:
The Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (TDMHSAS) reviews and approves PASRR evaluations. TDMHSAS works in conjunction with a private contractor, ASCEND AMI, and the Bureau of TennCare to perform these psychiatric evaluations and determine the most appropriate level of care for each individual applying to reside in a Medicaid-certified nursing facility.
A PASRR evaluation occurs whenever an individual applies to reside in a Medicaid-certified nursing facility. PASRR evaluations can be requested by a Medicaid-certified nursing facility on behalf of residents diagnosed with mental illness whenever that individual has a change in physical or mental condition which may affect their need for specialized services.
If you have questions or need to submit a PASRR:
- Medicaid Long Term Care
- PASRR submission on the ASCEND AMI website
- PASRR Laws and Regulations (Federal and State compliance)
- Long Term Care Services and Support Help Line / Bureau of TennCare 1-877-224-0219
- ASCEND PASRR Helpline 1-877-431-1388 Ext. 3495
- Tennessee Department of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services - PASRR Line 1-615-532-6767