CPRS Continuing Education
Continuing Education Verification Procedure
The information below is required to confirm successful completion of approved continuing education hours:
· Certificate of attendance or completion
· Certified Peer Recovery Specialist’s name
· Certificate signed by the instructor, trainer, or supervisor
· Training date
· Number of continuing education hours
· Screenshot of evidence of attendance for webinar
· If no certificate is included, screenshot the webinar:
- If using a PC computer, use the “Print Scrn” button or Snipping Tool application. For more detailed instructions, click this link.
- If using a Mac/Apple computer, use the computer key pattern of Shift-Command-4. For more detailed instructions, click this link.
· Try to select a slide/page with the name of the webinar, presenter, and date or add the information manually
· Print the screenshot, have supervisor sign and date it, and add the start and end time of the webinar
· Sign the document and include it with the other certificates when submitting renewal application
· College or university courses in behavioral-health related subjects
- A syllabus signed by the professor with a copy of grades for the course
- Transcript showing course and grade
To keep your CPRS certification up-to-date and active, it is necessary to complete ten continuing education hours. Five of those hours must include face-to-face training, in a live classroom setting, and one hour must be in ethics.
The other five hours can be obtained using electronic means such as computer based learning or webinars.
See below or refer to the Certified Peer Recovery Specialist Handbook for additional information.
Here are some examples of approved and unapproved trainings:
|Stages of Change||Crisis Management Mental Health Disorders|
|Understanding Mental Health or Substance Abuse Treatment||Illness Management and Recovery|
|Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)||Relapse and Recovery|
|Peer Employment Training||Peer Counseling Training|
|Building Self Esteem BRIDGES||Mental Illness and Substance Abuse Relapse Prevention|
|Recognizing Workplace Burnout||Identifying Relapse Urges and Tendencies|
|Conflict Resolution in the Workplace||Coping with Transference of Feelings|
|Cultural Differences and Beliefs||Grief and Recovery/Spirituality and Recovery|
|Cultural Diversity and Sensitivity|
While important for the job, some classes and training topics do not apply specifically toward the continuing education of a CPRS.
Here are some examples of Unapproved Trainings:
|Unapproved Misc. Trainings||Unappoved Clinical Trainings|
|First Aid Classes (medical not mental health)||Sexual Assault Dynamics and Treatment|
|Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)||Trauma-Informed Treatment of Addiction|
|Driver Education||Clinical Supervision|
|Food Safety Handling||Solution-Focused Brief Therapy in Behavioral Health|
|Fire and Other Emergencies||Cognitive Behavioral Therapy|
|Protective Equipment||Emotion Focused Therapy|
|Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)||Relational-cultural Therapy|
|Blood Borne Pathogens||Client-Directed Outcome-Focused Therapy
|Patient Neglect/Abuse||Mindful Therapy|
|Sitting and Lifting||Treatment of Suicidality|
|Electrical Safety||Repair and Reattachment Grief Therapy|