State Soil Conservation Committee / Soil Conservation Districts
The State Soil Conservation Committee, Tennessee Code Annotated 43-14-201 through 216, provides oversight and assistance to soil conservation districts in carrying out programs directed towards soil erosion control and water quality improvement on farmland.
Its statutory duties include appointing two supervisors to the governing board of each soil conservation district and establishing procedure for the local election of three other supervisors to each district’s governing board, offering assistance to the supervisors of soil conservation districts in carrying out their programs and powers, coordinating the programs of the soil conservation districts and encouraging cooperation among them. The Committee further serves to advise the Commissioner of Agriculture on agricultural matters.
The Committee meets four times a year, mostly in conjunction with state-wide agricultural events. All meetings comply with Public Chapter 442, the “Sunshine Law”, requiring public notices of meetings.
The Governor appoints Committee members. Their terms are for three years, with eligibility for reappointment. According to statute, there are to be one farmer and one soil conservation district supervisor from each grand division of the state, and one member at large.
The current Committee is as follows:
- Dwight King, SCD supervisor from East TN. Term ends April 30, 2018
- Mark Klepper, Farmer from East TN. Term ends April 30, 2017
- Regina Miller, SCD supervisor at-large. Term ends April 30, 2019
- Pal Neal, (Chair) SCD supervisor from Middle TN. Term ends April 30, 2018
- Eddie Sanders, Farmer from Middle TN. Term ends April 30, 2019
- Kenneth (Ray) Sneed, (Vice Chair) Farmer from West TN. Term ends April 30, 2018
- Tommy Surber, SCD supervisor from West TN. Term ends April 30, 2018
For more information, contact John McClurkan, Land & Water Stewardship Section Administrator, at John.Mcclurkan@tn.gov or 615-837-5305.
- SCD Election Instructions [PDF]
- Nominating Form
- Nominating Petition
- Official Ballot - Full Election
- Official Ballot - Special Election
- Election Poll List
- Certification of Election Results
- Appointment Form
- SCD Supervisor Per Diem Claim Form
- Report of Salary Supplement Paid Under Annual Operational Grant
- Report of Operational Grant Expenditures
- SCD Handbook Chapter 1 of 3 "Welcome and Introduction" (PDF)
- SCD Handbook Chapter 2 of 3 "Legal Authorities and Responsibilities" (PDF)
- SCD Handbook Chapter 3 of 3 "District Operations" (PDF)
Reference Manual for Soil Conservation Districts (PDF)
- Tab 1 - Soil Conservation District Law
- Tab 2 - Agricultural District Law
- Tab 3 - Tennessee Open Meetings Act and UT Guidance Document
- Tab 4 - Watershed District Law
- Tab 5 - Attorney General Opinions
- Tab 6 - TDEC Construction Stormwater Permit Streamlining Documents
- Tab 7 - Robert's Rules of Order - Simplified
- Tab 8 - State Soil Conservation Committee
- Tab 9 - NACD-Locally Led Conservation Overview
- Tab 10 - SCD Contingency Planning Guides