Skip to Main Content

Dicamba Resources

The Tennessee Department of Agriculture is taking measures to mitigate the risk of drift of herbicides containing dicamba.

State and federal laws mandate applicators strictly follow label directions and consider the weather and potential for temperature inversions when applying any herbicide. Any suspected misapplication should be reported immediately to TDA at 800-628-2631 or 615-837-5148. The department will take appropriate enforcement action for any
misapplication, including but not limited to suspension or revocation of a certificate and state penalties up to $1,500 per acre, in addition to federal penalties and possible criminal prosecution.  

May 18, 2018 - New Rules Effective July 23, 2018

March 26, 2018 - Department of Agriculture Announces Sensitive Crop Registry

Jan. 19, 2018 - Online Training Now Available for Dicamba Stewardship

Jan. 10, 2018 - UT Offers Dicamba Stewardship Training in Tennessee

Dec. 12, 2017 - New Requirements Proposed for Herbicide Use


How do I become eligible to apply a Restricted Use Pesticide?

To purchase and apply a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP), you must become commercially certified by testing in 1 of the 15 certification categories or privately certified by taking the initial training through the University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service. You must also submit the $25 fee, including a copy of the triplet form verifying the private applicator training.

In addition, if you are applying dicamba products you would need to provide a copy of your certificate for the dicamba training to:
Tennessee Department of Agriculture
Consumer & Industry Services

Certification Section, Attn: Mary Borthick
P.O. Box 40627
Nashville, TN 37204

How do I report a complaint for possible misapplication of a pesticide?

Call our Nashville office at 1-800-628-2631 or 615-837-5148 to report a complaint.

Once a complaint is received, what happens next?

TDA will interview the complainant(s), take a statement, collect samples and take photos if needed, and review and collect application records from the applicator. 

After all information is gathered and reviewed, TDA will determine if any laws or regulations have been violated and take appropriate enforcement action, including but not limited to an advisory, warning letter, or civil penalties.

If civil penalties are assessed against a person who incorrectly applied pesticides and my crops were damaged, am I compensated from the penalty?

No. If you choose to seek potential compensation for damage, you would file a claim with your insurance company or file a civil suit. Please consult with an attorney to determine options.

Can I file more than one complaint?

Yes. After filing the first complaint, if you suspect that possible pesticide drift has affected additional areas, you may file another complaint.

Will I receive a copy of the lab results?

Yes. If you have already requested a copy of the file, the laboratory results will be included.

Will I be charged a fee if soil, plant, and/or water samples are collected?

There is no charge for collection of samples.

How long does it take for a sample to be analyzed?

When a pesticide analysis is requested, results from samples tested by the TDA Technical Services Laboratory are typically available within two weeks.

If the Technical Services Laboratory does not have the capability to run a particular test requested, the sample will be sent to an outside laboratory for analysis. That process can take two weeks or longer. 

Can I request a copy of the case file regarding my complaint?

Yes. During the initial visit, the inspector assigned to the complaint will ask if you would like a copy of the file, or you may contact the office to request a copy at 615-837-5148.

Can anyone other than the complainant request a copy of the file?

Yes, as long as the case does not involve criminal prosecution and any appropriate fees associated with records requests are paid. 

Is my complaint case considered to be public information?

Yes, as long as it is not a criminal case.