The State Veterinarian is responsible for monitoring and protecting animal health in Tennessee, working with private veterinarians, animal pathologists, and a network of animal disease diagnostic laboratories to identify diseases and make a definitive diagnosis in cases of animal deaths.
The State Veterinarian is also responsible for the certification and enforcement of animal health standards required for interstate commerce of livestock and livestock products, as well as cooperation with federal animal health officials in accrediting Tennessee's practicing private veterinarians.
The State Veterinarian's Office may be contacted at (615) 837-5120.
State Veterinarian Orders
- Order for Rabbits: “Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus 2 (RHDV2) Vaccine”
- Order for Rabbits: “RHDV2 Import Requirements”
- Order for Cervidae: "Tennessee Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Herd Certification Program (HCP)"
- Order for Bulls: "Trichomoniasis Requirements"
- Order for Wild-Appearing Swine: "Transportation of Wild-Appearing Swine Within Tennessee"
- Tennessee Tuberculosis and Brucellosis Monitoring Program for Sheep and Goats: All sheep and goat dairies wishing to become Grade “A” Certified in the State of Tennessee must meet the requirements set forth in the Grade “A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance, Section 8, Animal Health. Learn more here.
Animal Health Listserv
Licensed, accredited Tennessee veterinarians may sign up here to receive email updates from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture’s Animal Health Division.
Career Opportunities - Current Openings
|Job Opening||Job Classification||Opening Date||Closing Date||County Location||Type||Application|
|Veterinarian Staff||Veterinarian Staff||07/21/22||08/17/22||Davidson County||Full Time||APPLY HERE
Search "Job ID 34221"
|Veterinarian Staff-Asst State Vet||Veterinarian Staff-Asst State Vet||07/21/22||08/17/22||Davidson County||Full Time||APPLY HERE
Search "Job ID 34231"
|Veterinarian Staff||Veterinarian Staff||08/04/2022||08/30/2022||Henry County||Full Time||APPLY HERE
Search "Job ID 35051"