License Information

Go TWRA Mobile Web Application

Hunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid until the last day of February the following year. Seasons are subject to change & license fees are subject to change. Most licenses, except the Lifetime Sportsman License and specialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, Disabled Veteran, Intellectually disabled, and Blind Fishing licenses, are available from most county clerks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, boat docks, online, and from all TWRA offices.


The Lifetime Sportsman License cannot be purchased at general license agents. Applications for this license may be obtained by calling the TWRA Nashville Office (615-781-6500), any of the four regional offices, or you can download an application.

Learn About the New Big Game Check In Procedures & Harvest Logs

The TWRA is funded by two primary sources: license/permit sales and federal excise taxes (Pittman-Robertson and Wallop-Breaux). Tennessee's allocation of these federal taxes is based in part, on the number of hunters and fishermen in the state. The TWRA does not receive any funding from the State's general fund (i.e. state sales tax). Thank you for buying a license. Without your support, Tennessee would not have fish and wildlife management programs.


What To Do If You've Misplaced Your License

You may reprint all active licenses at any time by logging into your account from our website. You may also purchase a duplicate printed license at a cost of $7.00 at any of our licensing agents.


Ammunition Tax Stamps

State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.


Becoming An Authorized TWRA License Agent

If you are interested in becoming a TWRA License Agent, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.