Resident License Requirements
Resident licenses can be purchased by:
Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver's license. Tennessee state law requires drivers to obtain a Tennessee driver's license within 30 days of residency. Out-of-state drivers license only accepted for Military Personnel and Students meeting the criteria below:
- Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them, regardless of resident status.
- Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college, or university for at least six months.
Persons who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home. Proof of residency required.
- Persons who do not drive or do not possess a valid driver’s license from another state, but who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home, may prove residency by presenting to a TWRA license agent any two of the following documents:
- Current Tennessee voter registration card
- Current Tennessee vehicle registration or title
- Form I-94 issued by the US Citizenship & Immigration Service
- Current rental/mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property or receipt for payment of Tennessee real estate taxes within last year
A Social Security Number is required to purchase a Tennessee hunting or fishing license.