Trousdale County was formed in 1870 from parts
of Macon, Smith, Sumner and Wilson counties
(Public Acts of Tennessee 1870, Chapter 27).
The county seat is Hartsville.
There were fires at the Trousdale County courthouse
in 1874, 1877, 1900, 1902 and 1905. There have been.
multiple floods at the courthouse, including 1927.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- Goodspeed Histories of Sumner, Smith, Macon, Trousdale Counties of Tennessee (Goodspeed, 1972 reprint)*
- Hartsville and Trousdale County (Oliver, 1997)*
- History of Trousdale County (McMurty, 1970)*
- "Remembrances and Reflections" : A Pictorial Collection of Trousdale County's Past (Trousdale County Historical Society, 1985)
- Trousdale County Courthouse : Facts, Fables & Suppositions (Buckingham, 1997)*
- *Trousdale County, Tennessee History (Allen, 1991) [surname index]
Additional county and community histories can be found at the Bibliography of Tennessee Local History Sources: Trousdale County. The items in the bibliography may not all be available at TSLA.
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1880 & 1900 Trousdale County, Tennessee Census Records (Scott & Cannon, 1998) [name index]*
- 1880 Census, Trousdale County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1999) [alphabetical by surname]
- 1910 & 1920 Trousdale County, Tennessee Census (Scott & Bronner, 2000) [name index]*
- 1930 Trousdale County, Tennessee Census (Bronner & Buckingham, 2005) [name index]*
- Cemeteries of Trousdale County (Scott and Cannon, 1996) [name index]*
- Early Coffin Maker : F.W. Throp and Throp & Oakley Funeral Home Records, 1852-1972 (Scott & Bronner, 2005) [name index]*
- Green Grove Cemetery : A Family Record of Burials (Scott, 1999) [name index]*
- Macon and Trousdale County, TN Bible Records (Bronner, 2013) [name index]
- Trousdale County Death Certificates [1908-1912; 1914-1925; 1926-1930; 1931-1935; 1936-1940; 1941-1945; 1946-1950; 1951-1955] (Denning, 2000-2008) [surname index]
- Trousdale County, Tennessee, Marriage Index, 1905-1950 (Walker, 1995) [alphabetical]
- Trousdale County, Tennessee Obituaries, Articles, and Scrapbook Clippings, August 1862-December 1954 (Scott, 2002) [name index]*
- Trousdale County, Tennessee Obituaries & Articles, Volume 2 Through December 1958 (Scott, 2004) [name index]*
- Trousdale County, TN African American Death Certificates [1914-1955] (Denning, 2009) [surname index]*
- Update and Corrections March 1996 Through 2005 for Cemeteries of Trousdale County, Tennessee (Scott, 2006) [name index]*
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
An inventory of microfilmed Trousdale County records is available on the TSLA web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
Earliest records include:
- marriages from 1906
- wills from 1905
- deed index from 1905
- chancery court minutes from 1906
- circuit court minutes from 1906
- county court minutes from 1906
- tax books from 1906
NEWSPAPERS ON MICROFILM
Newspapers were published in Hartsville. Scattered early issues are available from 1862, and a complete run begins in 1945. Microfilms are loaned to Tennessee libraries. Individual reels may also be purchased. An Inventory of Newspapers on Microfilm at TSLA is available on our web site.
- Anthony’s Funeral Home records,1928-1978 (Manuscript Microfilm #899, 2 reels)
- Caroline Crockett genealogical papers (Manuscript Microfilm #657, 7 reels)*
- Free & Accepted Masons Records. Masonic Lodge #113, 1845-1873 (Manuscript Microfilm #1315, 1 reel)*
- Harris Store Account Books, 1924-1933 (Manuscript Microfilm #778, 1 reel)*
- R. E. Bratton, M.D. Account Books. Hartsville, 1898-1930 (Manuscript Microfilm #996, 1 reel)*
- Throp and Oakley Funeral Home records, 1852-1972 (Manuscript Microfilm #730, 3 reels)*
- Throp and Oakley Funeral Home Records [Addition], 1944-1965 (Manuscript Microfilm #1371, 1 reel)*
- Walter L.K. Buckingham, Sr. Genealogical Collection, 1781-2007 (Manuscript Microfilm #1921, 6 reels) *
- Willard Turnpike Company Records, 1910-1919 (Manuscript Microfilm #779, 1 reel)*
- Census on microfilm for Trousdale County: 1870, 1880, 1900-1930
- State-wide census index: 1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1930
- Trousdale County census records in book form: 1880*, 1900*, 1910*, 1920*, 1930*
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR TROUSDALE COUNTY
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on Interlibrary Loan from TSLA.
Updated February 28, 2015