Fall Creek Falls & Coon Creek Falls
January 15, 1951
RG 82, Department of Conservation
Fall Creek Falls is Tennessee's second-largest park; it consists of 19,684 acres and is located between Spencer and Pikeville along the border of Van Buren and Bledsoe counties. Park construction began in 1936 following the arrival of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA). The CCC restocked wildlife and began reforestation, and the WPA assisted with the construction of the park's facilities. The State Forestry Service and Department of Agriculture administered the park throughout the 1930s and 1940s. The National Park Service oversaw development, which included parking areas, picnic and camping facilities, trails, etc.
Today, park attendance places Fall Creek Falls among the state's most heavily visited recreational sites. The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation has successfully retained the parks' most valuable resources, including the spectacular 250-foot namesake, Fall Creek Falls, as well as Cane Creek Gulf, Cane Creek Falls, Rockhouse Falls, Piney Creek Falls, numerous gorges, natural foliage, and an abundance of wildlife species. Today, the park remains, as the National Park Service remarked in the mid-1930s, "unquestionably one of the most outstanding beauty regions" in the United States.
Section researched and written by Kimberly Wires, Archival Assistant.