begin again
PLA credit for military training is one of the most widely used and accepted forms of PLA. In fact, there are a few forms of PLA specifically created for active duty and retired military personnel.

Also, the G.I. Bill and other military programs will often pay for most forms of PLA, making it even more accessible.

Getting credit for your military experience - military transcripts

Each of the branches of military service has developed methods for documenting military training that the American Council in Education has evaluated for college credit. All public Tennessee colleges and universities will utilize the ACE transcripts, when available, in making decisions regarding military credit. ACE has its own useful resources for veterans on their website, along with instructions and links for ordering your military transcript.

Where to Get an Official Military Transcript

For information about obtaining your military transcript, follow the links below.

Population Official Transcript Time Frame for Eligibility Source for Transcript
Army, Army reserves, and Army national Guard Ace Registry transcript
Enlisted Soldiers Joint Services Transcript
Navy and Navy reserves Ace Registry transcript Sailors who entered active duty after 1976 are eligible Joint Services Transcript
Marine and Marine reserves Ace Registry transcript Active-duty Marines and Marines who left active duty after October 1, 1999, are eligible* Joint Services Transcript

Air force, Air Force reserves, and Air National Guard
Community College of the Air Force transcript Airmen who entered active duty after 1972 are eligible*
Coast Guard and Coast Guard reserves Coast Guard Institute official transcript Active duty and reserve members are eligible go_to_college/official_transcript.asp
Army National Guard Army national guard official transcript Drilling members and Active Guard members are eligible Joint Services Transcript
All veterans from all branches DD-214 official certificate of discharge *Any veteran or service member may obtain a DD-214, include those who do not meet the time frame requirements for the services listed above.

National Personnel Records Center Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Avenue St Louis, MO 63132

Financial Resources for Veterans and Service Members

G.I. Bill Benefits

Qualified individuals enrolled in approved programs are entitled to receive education benefits equal to 36 months (the equivalent of four years of college) to pay for living expenses, tuition, fees and other costs incurred while pursuing education.

Recipients may not receive an amount that exceeds the maximum in-state amount of established charges at the most expensive public school in that state. That amount is further reduced for part-time study (i.e., half-time or less) if the actual charges are less than the educational benefit would otherwise be. The maximum allowance for books, supplies, equipment, and other educational costs is $1,000 per academic year, paid proportionately by term. For more information about what you can expect in government assistance, visit Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Payment Rates For 2013 Academic Year (August 1, 2013 - July 31, 2014) on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs web site.

Payments are made according to the following schedule:

  • The book allowance is paid to the student at the beginning of each term.

  • Housing stipends are paid to the student monthly.

  • Tuition payments are made directly to the student's institution.

  • If you withdraw from one or more of your courses after the end of the school's drop period, VA may reduce or stop your benefits on the date of reduction or withdrawal. If you withdraw from a course after the end of the drop period, you may have to repay all benefits for the course unless you can show that the change was due to mitigating circumstances. VA defines "mitigating circumstances" as unavoidable and unexpected events that directly interfere with your pursuit of a course and are beyond your control.

    Examples of reasons VA may accept are:

    Examples of reasons VA may not accept are:

    NOTE: VA may ask you to furnish evidence to support your reason for a change.

    The first time you withdraw from up to six credit hours, VA will "excuse" the withdrawal and pay benefits for the period attended. Remember, this only applies to your first withdrawal. If you receive a grade that does not count toward graduation, you may have to repay all benefits for the course.

    Other useful sites:



    Chapter 31 Benefits: VA Vocational Rehabilitation Education Program

    Detailed information can be found in this pamphlet:

    VA Vocational Rehabilitation is a program whose primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach her/his rehabilitation goal. These services include: vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment. Services generally last up to 48 months, but can be extended in certain instances.

    A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he/she:

    An eligible veteran generally has 12 years from the date he/she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use her/his Chapter 31 benefits. The VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.

    A veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 first must apply for services and meet with a vocational rehabilitation counselor (VRC). The VRC will work with the veteran to determine if an employment handicap exists as a result of his/her service-connected disability. If an employment handicap is established and the veteran is entitled to services, the VRC and the veteran will continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the veteran's rehabilitation and employment needs.

    For more information, go to . Form 28-8832 is an application for counseling only. Do not use this form to apply for vocational rehabilitation and employment benefits (Chapter 31). Use VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation. These forms are available at You can apply online at

    How to utilize your G.I. Bill Benefits:

    Please note that your chosen institution can help you with this process. However, these are the basic steps you will need to take in order to access and utilize your G.I. Bill Benefits.

      1. Go to VONAPP
      • If you have never applied for benefits you must complete the online application at the VONAPP site
      • If you have previously been approved but are changing schools, you must login to the VONAPP site and complete a DD-22-1995 (Change of Place of Training) to use GI Bill Benefits at Thomas Edison State College
      • Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) continue with the process below.
      • Alternatively you may, in place of a CoE, submit a screen shot from your eBenefits "Educational Enrollment Status" page including the "Entitlement Information" screen or W.A.V.E and continue with the process below.

    *Please note that the VA does NOT send the CoE to Thomas Edison State College, you as the student must do this.

      1. Apply to your institution of choice

      2. Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) Form.

      3. Complete other forms and documents specified by your chosen institution.

      4. Register for classes once your institution has confirmed you are enrolled.

    G.I. Bill Support for Specific Types of PLA

    Many types of PLA fees can be coverd by G.I. Bill benefits. To look into the financial support available for veterans and members of the military, please visit these links for CLEP or DSST exams.

    Military Scholarships

    In addition to the benefits of the G.I. Bill, many veterans, service members, and surviving dependents of veterans are eligible for private or institutional scholarships. Additionally, for military service members and their families (and other eligible civilians), Scholarship and Financial Aid Explorer contains comprehensive information on the scholarships and financial aid offerings of numerous public and private organizations.

    Other Military-related Scholarship Sources

    The sources listed below are either organizations or individual scholarships intended primarily to support military members and/or their family members with funds in support of their education. Contact the individuals or organizations identified in the informational links.

  • American Legion - Various scholarships and programs.

  • American Patriot Freedom Scholarship Program - The American Patriot Freedom Scholarship Program is operated by Homefront America USA and offers $1,000 scholarships to dependent children of Service Members to use towards a four-year degree, vocational, or technical certificate.

  • Anchor Scholarship - The Anchor Scholarship is available to dependents of service members who have served a minimum of six years in a unit under the administrative control of Commander, Naval Surface Forces, U.S. Atlantic Fleet or U.S. Pacific Fleet. You must attend, or plan to attend an accredited four-year college or university and intend to work toward a BS or BA degree to be eligible for this award.

  • Armed Forces Children's Foundation Fund - The Armed Forces Children's Education Fund is a non-profit corporation to financially assist the needs of surviving children of U.S. Service Members who lost their lives on or after October 7, 2001.

  • Army Scholarship Fund - The Army Scholarship Foundation offers scholarships for undergraduate education for dependent children of U.S. Army Soldiers and spouses of active duty enlisted U.S. Army Soldiers.

  • Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund - Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund provides assistance to civilian, federal, and postal employees, their spouses, and college-age children. The Fund sponsors an annual merit-based scholarship competition each year for eligible applicants.

  • Fisher House - Website highlights several scholarships including Heroes' Legacy Scholarships for deceased or disabled Service Members' children, as well as separate scholarship programs for military spouses and their children.

  • FRA Education Foundation - The FRA Education Foundation makes scholarships available to eligible* full-time students who are U.S. citizens attending accredited colleges and universities in the United States. *Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard personnel and their families are eligible for FRA Education Foundation scholarships.

  • Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund - Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund provides scholarships for dependent children of active duty Service Members who are either killed or permanently disabled (100% VA rating) as the result of an operational mission or training incident, or who are currently certified as MIA or POW.

  • Hartwell Fallen Soldiers Children's Fund - Scholarships for spouses and dependent children of killed or disabled active duty Service Members and Reservists. The scholarship is one of the few that can be held if enrollment is postponed. Purple Heart recipients are also automatically eligible for scholarship aid. The Hartwell Fallen Soldiers Children's Fund provides mentoring and financial support for education, medical expenses, and counseling for children of Service Members killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan.

  • Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund - The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund serves United States military personnel wounded or injured in service to our nation, and their families.

  • Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships - Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships are available to all spouses of uniformed Service Members. Funds have few restrictions and may be used for undergraduate or graduate schooling, professional certifications, or vocational training, online or in-class programs, and either fulltime or part-time attendance. A valid military ID is required to be eligible for the program and applicants should be prepared for a timed online application process.

  • Ladies Auxiliary of the Fleet Reserve Association - Ladies Auxiliary of the Fleet Reserve Association (LA FRA) is chartered to aid, assist and promote all matters pertaining to welfare, social, and patriotic works of the Fleet Reserve Association, its members and their families.

  • Military One Source - Find educational opportunities amid a long list of military resources. Registration and log-in to the website is required to access some of the online resources.

  • Military Family Support Trust - Military Family Support Trust offers a variety of scholarships including 14 named scholarships with the history of each one explained on its website, and provides funding over the course of four years.

  • NAIMES Student Spotlight Award - To celebrate academic achievements of military students in the Armed Forces Voluntary Education programs. The Student Spotlight Award is an opportunity for students to demonstrate their academic achievement to the military and civilian educational community through an exploration of how the academic experience has influenced their military career. Application deadline is June 30, 2013.

  • Navy Supply Corps Foundation - Activities of the Navy Supply Corps Foundation are centered in more than 20 local chapters which have grown through the years from natural regional groupings of Supply Corps officers into a worldwide organization serving the Supply Corps community. Each chapter is chartered by the Foundation and is an ongoing resource for the active duty, reserve, retired, and prior service Supply Corps officers in the geographic area served by the chapter. It is this federation of local chapters which forms and is the strength of the Navy Supply Corps Foundation.

  • Pat Tillman Foundation - The Tillman Military Scholars program awards scholarships to Service Members, spouses of Service Members, and their dependent children.

  • Purple Heart Scholarship - The Purple Heart Scholarship is available to members of the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH), their children, stepchildren, or grandchildren. Dependents of veterans who were killed or wounded in action and died before they could join MOPH are also eligible. Applications are available online in mid-September of each year.

  • Veterans of Foreign Wars - The Veterans of Foreign Wars' Voice of Democracy program is open to all 9-12 grade students, and awards one national first-place winner a $30,000 scholarship to a U.S. university, college, or vocational/technical school. Other national scholarships range from $1,000-$16,000, and the first-place winner from each state level VFW Department wins an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, DC.

  • Wings Over America Scholarship Foundation - The Wings Over America Scholarship Foundation offers college scholarships to dependent children and spouses of military members from the US Navy's aviation community. The Foundation is funded solely through private and corporate contributions.

  • Useful Links for Service Members

    1. Government (Federal and State Resources)

    a. Veterans Affairs (United States of America):

    b. Veterans Affairs (Tennessee):

    c. Tennessee Higher Education Commission:

    d. Service Resource - Air Force:

    e. Service Resource - Army Education:

    f. Service Resource - Navy College:

    g. Troops to Teachers:

    h. Department of Labor:

    i. National Resource Directory:

    2. Private Organizations

    a. Student Veterans:

    b. Military OneSource (A 24/7 Resource for Military Members, Spouses and Families)


    d. Iraq and Afghan Veterans of America (IAVA)

    e. Tutor.Com Academic and Career Support for Military Members and Spouses

    f. MilitaryTA

    g. Military to College Guide for Student Veterans (PDF file; published by Student Veterans of America (SVA))

    3. Military Installations and Resources

    a. Fort Campbell:

    b. Naval Support Activity Mid-South (Millington):

    4. Test-based Resources (Government Sponsored)

    a. GRE Guidance and Reimbursement Form:

    b. GMAT Guidance and Reimbursement Form:

    c. PRAXIS Examinations:

    d. DANTES Test Site Searches: