Stage 2 Core Measure 4
Objective:Record and chart changes in the following vital signs:
- Blood pressure (ages 3 and over).
- Calculate and display body mass index (BMI).
- Plot and display growth charts for patients 0 - 20 years, including body mass index.
: More than 80 percent of all unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period have blood pressure (for patients age 3 and over only) and height/length and weight (for all ages) recorded as structured data.
CMS Specification Sheet
- Any EP who sees no patients 3 years or older is excluded from recording blood pressure;
- Any EP who believes that all three vital signs of height/length, weight, and blood pressure have no relevance to their scope of practice is excluded from recording them;
- Any EP who believes that height/length and weight are relevant to their scope of practice, but blood pressure is not, is excluded from recording blood pressure; or
- Any EP who believes that blood pressure is relevant to their scope of practice, but height/length and weight are not, is excluded from recording height/length and weight.
This objective and measure aligns with Core Measure 8 in Stage 1. Corresponding to the 2013 updates to Stage 1, the age range for blood pressure begins at three years instead of two, and the exclusions are expanded. In Stage 2, the threshold has increased to 80 percent from 50 percent.