Local Programs Training
This page details the optional and required trainings for local governments wishing to administer State and Federal Aid projects through the Local Programs Development Office.
The Local Programs Development Office offers required Local Government Guidelines Manual and Right-of-Way Training. This is a 1½ day class which is offered 4-5 times per year. The certification is valid for a period of three years, and it is an individual certification.
There is also a required Consultant Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course for local governments and their respective CEI staff/consultants who wish to perform the CEI requirements on State and Federally funded projects. There are two levels of participation. The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on CEI Consultants and local governments that wish to perform their own CEI services on construction projects. The certification is valid for a period of five years.
To be added to the training class email distribution list, email email@example.com.
- Local Government Guidelines Manual & Right-of-Way Training
The list of 2017 Local Government Guidelines and Right-of-Way Training Classes are below.
TDOT’s Local Programs Development and Right-of-Way Offices will be holding a training required for local municipalities and professional engineering firms in order to locally manage a TDOT project through the Local Programs Office. This class will teach the six phases of project development per the Local Government Guidelines Manual. It is required to attend one of these classes every three years in order to locally manage a project through the Local Programs Office.
There is no fee for Tennessee city or county personnel. Registration fees for Tennessee RPOs/MPOs and Development Districts are $25 per person. The registration fee for all other attendees will be $50 per person. Classes fill up quickly on a first-come basis, so register soon!
August 8-9, 2017
August 8: (Local Government Guidelines Manual) from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EST)
August 9: (Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Coordination) from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (EST)
TDOT Region 1 Auditorium
7345 Region Lane
Region 2 Class
November 1-2, 2017
November 1: (Local Government Guidelines Manual) from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EST)
November 2: (Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Coordination) from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (EST)
Cleveland/Bradley Chamber of Commerce
225 Keith Street SW
- Local Programs CEI Training
The Office of Local Program Development is offering a Construction Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course, which is required for all local governments and CEIs to take every five years.
The course has two levels of certification:
- The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. This class will teach you what to expect out of your CEI. Only local governments are allowed to attend this class.
- The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on those local governments that wish to perform their own CEI and consultants who wish to perform the CEI for local governments. The primary goal of the second level training is to ensure that CEIs fully understand the extent of their responsibilities. This class will walk through the forms, procedures, and potential issues during the construction phase.
2018 CEI Training Classes:
The dates for the 2018 classes have not been finalized, but these classes typically take place in the months of May and June of each year.
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 1 certified (eligible to manage a CEI):
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 2 certified (eligible to conduct CEI services on locally managed projects):
- Training Related Documents & Materials
- Local Government Guidelines Presentation - Region 3, July 2017 Class
- Local Government Guidelines Class Supplemental Packet for July 2017
- 2017 Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation Presentation
- 2017 CEI Training Class PowerPoint
- 2017 Supplemental Materials for CEI Classes
Additional Training Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions