Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Coordination
Federal transportation legislation requires all urbanized areas of 50,000 or greater population to maintain a continuing, comprehensive and cooperative transportation planning process. The organization responsible for carrying out this transportation planning process is called a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). Federal funding for transportation projects and programs are channeled through this planning process.
Through the Long Range Planning Division, the Regional Planning Office is responsible for the statewide coordination and oversight of the transportation planning process in Tennessee's eleven MPO areas.
The oversight and coordination process includes:
- Interpretation of Federal Planning Requirements
- Providing technical support to the MPOs
- Reviewing and approving transportation planning documents (Long Range Transportation Plans, Transportation Improvement Plans, Unified Planning Work Programs, etc.)
- Administration of the Planning (PL) Funding Program
- Serving as liaison between the MPOs and Federal agencies
- Attending MPO Technical Coordinating Committee (TCC) and Executive Board meetings and workshops as needed
- Participating in Interagency Consultation ( IAC) meetings in non-attainment areas and reviewing conformity documents for compliance with FHWA and EPA regulations and submitting conformity documents to FHWA, FTA, and EPA
MPO responsibilities are administered by an Executive Board and a Technical Committee. The Executive Board provides policy direction, and their membership includes locally-elected officials and the Governor of Tennessee. The Technical Committee provides technical expertise and is comprised of professional planners and engineers from local governments and other transportation related agencies.
2017 Tennessee MPO Planning Conference
- Presentations: June 7th, 2017
- Presentations: June 8th, 2017
- Bus Stop Design Guidelines
- E-TIP Implementation
- Freight Movement Technologies
- Initiatives to Innovate Middle TN Transportation
- Integrated Corridor Management
- Memphis Regional Freight Plan
- Public Outreach
- Safety Performance Measures
- The IMPROVE Act and TN Transit
- Transportation Demand Management
For more information, please contact Deborah Fleming, Sr. Regional Planner, by phone at (615) 741-3507 or by email at Deborah.Fleming@tn.gov.