Bicycle Routes in Tennessee
US BICYCLE ROUTES in Tennessee:
US Bicycle Route 23: Map - North to South cue sheet - South to North cue sheet [Adobe PDF files]
GPX files for GPS: US Bicycle Route 23 North to South.gpx - US Bicycle Route 23 South to North.gpx
Former Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee (BRAT) routes with detailed directions:
Maps for each route
- Reelfoot: Route A1, Route A2, Route B1, Route B2, Route C1, Route C2, Route C3
- Highland Rim: Route 1, Route 2, Route 3, Route 4, Route 5
- River: Route 1, Route 2, Route 3, Route 4, Route 5, Route 6, Route 7, Route 8
- Heartland: Route 1, Route 2, Route 3, Route 4, Route 5
- Mountains: Route A1, Route A2, Route A3, Route A4, Route A5, Route B1, Route B2, Route B3, Route B4, Route B5, Route C1
Cycling Tennessee's Highways
All roads suggested are regular roads of the state, county and city highway systems and are used by trucks and cars with no special lanes provided for bicycles. The former BRAT routes have been signed with standard Department of Transportation bicycle route signs that include a "MILEPOST" number in the upper left corner which corresponds to the map narrative. The mile number is based on a south to north and west to east orientation. All turns on the route are indicated by a standard Department of Transportation bicycle sign and accompanying directional arrow.
The general directions on each touring map also include a description heading in the north to south and east to west orientation (opposite direction). The opposite direction descriptions include "LOG MILE" numbers alongside the "MILEPOST" numbers, which progress in the opposite direction.
The riding, mapping, signing, writing and printing of the bicycle maps have been part of a joint effort among the departments of Transportation, Tourist Development, and Environment and Conservation, the Bicycle Clubs of Tennessee and the Bicycle Federation of Tennessee.