Public Chapter 216
SENATE BILL NO. 414
Substituted for: House Bill No. 407
By Bowers, Ulysses Jones, Miller, Brooks, Ronnie Cole, McKee, Fitzhugh, Cross, Pruitt, Brown, Sargent, Windle, Langster
AN ACT To enact the "Tennessee Lead-Based Paint Abatement Training/Certification Program of 1997".
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. This act shall be known as the "Tennessee Lead-Based Paint Abatement Certification Act of 1997".
SECTION 2. (a) The Department of Environment and Conservation shall establish a certification program for lead abatement professionals.
(b) The program shall:
(1) certify all individuals involved in lead-based paint abatement activities;
(2) accredit training providers;
(3) establish standards for such program;
(4) insure compliance with regulations;
(5) enforce the certification program;
(6) revise regulations and procedures when necessary; and
(7) establish reciprocity provisions with other state certification programs.
(c) The program shall conform to certification standards promulgated by the federal Environmental Protection Agency for such programs, but shall not be more stringent than those standards. Furthermore, it is the intent of the General Assembly that in this program the department shall only establish a certification program, and not provide the training for either the trainers or the lead-based paint professionals.
SECTION 3. The Commissioner of the Department of Environment and Conservation shall promulgate rules necessary to implement this act.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.