Public Chapter 86

HOUSE BILL NO. 231

By Representatives Pruitt, Langster

Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 206

By Senator Harper

AN ACT providing for the placement of a historical marker on the campus of Meharry Medical College in Davidson County, Tennessee.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the Tennessee Historical Commission is hereby directed to place an historical plaque of appropriate size and design at the Harold D. West Building on the campus of Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee.

SECTION 2. The purpose for placing such a plaque is to recognize and commemorate the cultural and historical significance of Dr. Harold D. West, the first African-American president of the college. Such plaque shall bear the following language:

Dr. Harold Dadford West, Sr.

1904-1974

In 1927, Dr. West came to Meharry Medical College as Associate Professor of Physiological Chemistry. A 1930 Julius Rosenwald Fellowship recipient and a 1935 Fellow of the General Education Board, he returned to Meharry to serve as the first Ph.D. on the faculty as Professor and Chairman of the Biochemistry Department. In 1952, West was elected Meharry's first Black American president. At that time, more than 50 percent of the Black American physicians and dentists practicing in the U. S. were MMC graduates. In 1966, Dr. West resigned to continue biochemical research.

SECTION 3. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.