CHAPTER NO. 1111
SENATE BILL NO. 2197
Substituted for: House Bill No. 2669
By Halteman Harwell, Haley, Goins, Wood, Beavers, Hassell, Boyer, Mumpower, Godsey,
AN ACT To require state departments to post notice of applications for new federal funds or federal grants and subsequent material changes to such applications or grants on the Internet.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. (a) All state departments shall post notice of any applications for new federal funds or federal grants on the official State of Tennessee website on the Internet (www.state.tn.us) at least ten (10) days prior to submission of such application and contemporaneous notice of the posting shall be given to each member of the General Assembly. The Department of Finance and Administration shall create a web page under the Office of Resource Development and Support and all notices required to be posted shall be posted on such web page.
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), any notice of an application for which the requirements of the application were not received by the applying department at least twenty (20) days prior to the application deadline shall be posted on the Internet within a reasonable time after submission of the application, but in no event more than fifteen (15) days after submission.
(c) Subject to subsection (e), subsection (a) shall apply only to applications for funds or grants made available to the state pursuant to a federal statute that have not previously been awarded or granted to the state.
(d) Notice required pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall contain the following information:
(1) The amount of money applied for;
(2) The name of the state department applying for funds;
(3) The individual in such department to contact relative to the application and from whom copies of the application may be obtained;
(4) A brief description of the program to be funded;
(5) The United States Code section under which the federal program was enacted that governs the use of the funds appropriated thereunder and the appropriate citations to references in which related regulations may be found;
(6) The state law that authorized and governs any program for which the funds will be used; and
(7) The date on which the requirements for the application were received by the department applying for the funds or grant.
(e) Subsequent substantive changes to existing federal grants and/or the addition of special funding for newly delineated programs under such grants shall require posting on the Internet pursuant to subsection (a) of this section.
(f) After the disposition of any application for federal funds which was posted pursuant to subsection (a), each department shall update the web page maintained by the Department of Finance and Administration to reflect the final disposition of the application or award, including but not limited to the amount of funding awarded.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
PASSED: May 1, 1998
APPROVED this 21st day of May 1998