CHAPTER NO. 1000
HOUSE BILL NO. 2498
By Representatives Lois DeBerry, Armstrong, Bowers, Miller, Pruitt, Brooks, Langster
Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 2829
By Senators Ford, Harper, Dixon
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 68, relative to access to health care for underserved or disadvantaged populations.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 68, Chapter 1, is amended by adding the following as a new section to be appropriately designated:
Section ___. (a) There is hereby established a program for health care professional development for underserved and disadvantaged populations in Tennessee at Meharry Medical College School of Medicine. The program shall develop resources for recruiting, training and deploying physicians for service in areas of Tennessee with disadvantaged and medically underserved populations.
(b) The program shall:
(1) Develop programs in undergraduate medical education with positions for qualified Tennessee residents, especially for residents from disadvantaged and medically underserved areas;
(2) Expand specialty training in family medicine, preventive medicine, and enhance generalist physician training in the disciplines of internal medicine, pediatrics, and obstetrics/gynecology;
(3) Increase recruitment of students from disadvantaged communities and health resource shortage areas of the State;
(4) Deploy physicians into disadvantaged communities in service to local health departments and counties demonstrating need;
(5) Expand academic and student support services as required for enrolled Meharry students from disadvantaged communities and health resource shortage areas of the State.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
May 1, 1998
APPROVED this 18th day of May 1998