CHAPTER NO. 945
SENATE BILL NO. 2914
By Graves, Harper
Substituted for: House Bill No. 2314
By McMillan, Hargrove, Odom, Cooper, Sherry Jones, Halteman Harwell, Beavers
AN ACT To amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 38, Chapter 12, relative to the domestic violence state coordinating council.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 38, Chapter 12, is amended by adding the following as a new section:
(a) The State Coordinating Council shall by July 1, 1999, promulgate regulations for batterers' intervention programs for perpetrators of domestic abuse as defined in Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 36-3-601, and shall certify compliance with such regulations. In formulating the regulations the council shall conduct public hearings and shall consult with the following persons or groups:
1) Public and private agencies that provide batterers' intervention programs for perpetrators of domestic abuse;
2) Public and private agencies that provide programs for victims of domestic abuse;
3) Victims advocates;
4) Survivors of domestic abuse; and
5) Other persons who have demonstrated expertise and experience in the area of domestic abuse.
(b) The regulations required by this section shall include, but not be limited to, the following topics:
1) Minimum standards for batterers' intervention programs; and
2) Monitoring and certification criteria for batterers' intervention programs.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
PASSED: April 28, 1998
APPROVED this 11th day of May 1998