CHAPTER NO. 858
HOUSE BILL NO. 2076
By Representatives Garrett, Odom, Ridgeway, Sherry Jones
Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 2141
By Senator Henry
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 68, Chapter 3, Part 5, relative to determination of death.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 68, Chapter 3, Part 5Error! Bookmark not defined., is amended
by adding the following as a new section:
Section 68-3-511. A registered nurse may make the actual determination and pronouncement of death under the following circumstances:
1) The deceased was suffering from a terminal illness;
2) Death was anticipated, and the attending physician and/or the hospice medical director has agreed in writing to sign the death certificate. Such agreement by the attending physician or hospice medical director must be present and with the deceased at the place of death;
3) Prior to death, the deceased had been receiving the services of a Medicare-certified hospice program licensed by the State;
4) The nurse is licensed by the State; and
5) The nurse is employed by the attending hospice program.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
PASSED: April 20, 1998
APPROVED this 1st day of May 1998