CHAPTER NO. 746
HOUSE BILL NO. 2102
By Representative Hargett
Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 2684
By Senators Kyle, Person
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 41-2-129, relative to the wages or salaries of employed prisoners in county jails or workhouses.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 41-2-129, is amended by deleting subsection (c) and substituting instead the following:
(c) By order of the County Board of Commissioners, or County Legislative Body if there is no County Board of Commissioners, or in the case of jail prisoners, the wages or salaries of employed prisoners shall be disbursed for the following purposes in the order stated:
(1) The Board of the Prisoner;
(2) Necessary travel expense to and from work and other incidental expenses of the prisoner;
(3) Support of the prisoner's dependents, if any, the amount to be determined by the local governing body of the county workhouse or by the County Legislative Body in the case of jail prisoners;
(4) Payment of docket costs connected with the commitment of the person;
(5) Payment either in full or ratably of the prisoner's obligations acknowledged by the prisoner in writing or which have been reduced to judgment; and
(6) The balance if any to the prisoner upon the prisoner's discharge less an amount equal to two percent (2%) of such balance which shall be applied to the county-operated victim's assistance program, if such a program exists in the county.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
April 1, 1998
APPROVED this 15th day of April 1998