Recognition of Out-of-State Handgun Carry Permits
- Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.
- The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.
- Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.
- If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.
- All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state, will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21) or is at least eighteen (18) years of age, and is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States Armed Forces or is a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty status and includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty (DD214) or includes with the application a military identification card as proof that the applicant is on active duty member of the military, take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the fee, and be fingerprinted.
- Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
- A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.
States Recognizing TN Permits
- New Hampshire*
- New Mexico*
- North Carolina*
- North Dakota
- South Carolina*
- South Dakota*
- West Virginia*
* Indicates the state has a formal reciprocity agreement with Tennessee
(NOTE: Persons with a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry permit should contact any state for information on carrying such handgun prior to entering the state.)
States Not Recognizing TN Permits