Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to renew my driver license online?
Answer: Yes, you can renew your driver license online; however, there are some instances which require you to visit a driver services center. Tennessee's state law requires that anyone issued a Tennessee driver's license between January 1, 2001, and July 1, 2004, be required to provide documentation they are either a U.S. Citizen or a lawful permanent resident at the time of their first renewal. In these instances, you may not renew by mail or by the internet; you will be required to visit a Driver Services Center.
Here is a list of items you need in order to use our online driver license renewal program.
- Have a current, valid Tennessee Class D or M license that requires no changes or corrections to your name or date of birth.
- Have a current photo driver license without a renewal sticker affixed to the back. If a renewal sticker was issued through the mail for your last renewal, will need to visit a Driver Services Center.
- Have a valid Visa or MasterCard for payment of fees.
Please allow 3 weeks for the receipt of your new photo driver license.
You will need to renew in person at a Driver Service Center if:
- You need to make any changes or corrections to your name or date of birth as they currently appear on your Tennessee driver license.
- You hold a Commercial Driver License Class A, B or C license. You will also need to provide your current, valid DOT Medical Card.
- You hold an expiring Certificate for Driving (Class TD / TM) or an expiring Temporary Driver License (Class XD / XM) or Temporary Identification License (Class XID). You will also need to provide updated proof of current legal presence and period of authorized stay along with 2 proofs of current Tennessee residence address at the time of your renewal.
To see if you are eligible to renew online, click the icon below to go to our online driver license renewal page.
For more general driver license information (general info, office locations, online services etc.) visit Driver Services.
Back to Driver Services FAQs