TENNESSEE STATEWIDE AMBER ALERT: Elizabeth Thomas | Click for details from TBI.
Sales Tax Relief Available to Sevier County Residents: More Information Here
Tax Returns Received by 3/31 Will be Considered on Time: Click Here to Learn More about TNTAP and Ask Questions

Business Tax


Generally, if you conduct business within any county and/or incorporated municipality in Tennessee, then you should register for and remit business tax.  Business tax consists of two separate taxes: the state business tax and the city business tax. 

With a few exceptions, all businesses that sell goods or services must pay the state business tax.  This includes businesses with a physical location in the state as well as out-of-state businesses performing certain activities in the state.  If you are an out-of-state business, you must pay the state business tax if you:

  • perform a service in Tennessee that is received by a Tennessee customer,
  • lease items in Tennessee,
  • deliver items to a customer in Tennessee in your own vehicle, or
  • purchase an item in Tennessee and then sell the same item in Tennessee, using someone located in Tennessee acting on your behalf.

Additionally, if you have a business location in a city that has enacted the business tax, then you are required to pay the city business tax as well.  Under these circumstances, you must file two separate tax returns. Click here for a comprehensive list of cities that have enacted business tax.

If you decide to close your business, you must file a final business tax return with the Department of Revenue within 15 days of closing and pay any tax that is due (minimum of $22). Businesses holding minimum activity licenses that do not file tax returns should notify local city and county officials or the Department of Revenue that the business is closed.