A security guard/officer is an individual employed by
a contract security company or a proprietary security organization to
protect persons and/or property from criminal activities. If an individual maintains an armed guard registration it is not necessary to also be registered as an "unarmed" guard.
Requirements for unarmed security guard registration
- Be at least 18 years of age for registration as an unarmed security guard.
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien.
- Be legally mentally competent, be of good moral character.
- Be free of habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence.
- Have no disability which would prevent performance of duties.
- Be free of convictions including probation for 5 years for serious crimes OR Crimes involving:
- Must meet the training requirements.
- Submit three fingerprint cards for processing for a TBI and or FBI criminal history check.
Training includes an examination covering subjects in which the individual
must have training. All candidates must complete a four hour basic course
including one (1) hour each of:
- Legal powers and limitations of a security guard/officer.
- Emergency procedures.
- General duties.
Training Requirements for the use of a Club, Stun
Gun, Chemical Spray, Night Stick or other less than lethal device.
Registered guards or applicants who will carry a club,
stun gun, chemical spray, night stick or other less than lethal device,
the commissioner shall require appropriate training specific to such device
by a certified trainer who is certified to instruct for such specific
device. It shall be the employers' responsibility to keep training records
of their employees for each device. The security officer/guard shall also
have in such person's possession a certification card issued by an instructor/trainer
who is certified to instruct/train in the legal use of such specific device
and shall exhibit such card upon demand by the commissioner or the commissioner's
duly authorized agent or any full time law enforcement officer.
Fees and Related Costs
- Unarmed Guards/Officers renew registration every two (2) years.
Click Here to download the Application.