Skip to Content

Pell Grants for UI Recipients

In May 2009, it was announced that individuals filing for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits will receive special consideration for Pell Grant financial aid to pay for job training or education.  If you are receiving UI benefits, you may also be able to continue receiving benefits while enrolled in approved training. 

Federal Pell Grant scholarships that cover education and training expenses may be available for individuals meeting eligibility requirements.  Pell Grants are accepted at most universities and community colleges and many trade and technical schools.

The Departments of Education and Labor have created a single web site,, where you can find helpful information and apply for a Pell Grant.  An application is available at, or by calling 1-800-4FEDAID.

In addition, the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development has Career Centers located throughout the state that can assist you in finding training and employment opportunities.