National Register of Historic Places From Tennessee
The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's list of cultural resources considered worthy of preservation. In Tennessee, the staff of the Tennessee Historical Commission administers this program. Three times a year, the State Review Board meets to recommend properties for listing in the National Register.
There are over 2000 entries in the National Register from Tennessee. Every county in the state has at least one entry. For additional information on the National Register program, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at 615/532-1550 or the National Register of Historic Places.
- National Register of Historic Places Information Packet (CN-1271)
- National Register of Historic Places in Tennessee
Rock of Ages Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
Designed by the Nashville architectural firm of McKissack and McKissack, the Rock of Ages Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1955 in Memphis’ Binghampton neighborhood. At that time, McKissack and McKissack was the only African American architectural firm licensed in Tennessee. The stripped classicism of the company’s design reflects both a traditional design with post-WWII modern influences. McKissack and McKissack’s design of the two-story brick building is seen in the columned entry, symmetrical design, and brick pilasters. More important than the design of the building is the role it played in the early 1960s Civil Rights movement in Memphis. Although not as well-known as the 1968 sanitation worker’s strike, in 1960, 200 city sanitation workers met at the church to begin organizing for equal representation with the Teamsters Union. As the union organization movement grew, larger venues were needed. While the 1960 effort was not successful, it is considered a strategic moment in the city’s Civil Rights movement.
The Science Building
The Science Building was built in 1929 as the first major educational building on the campus of Tennessee Technical University in Cookeville. Nashville-based architect Russell E. Hart designed the Colonial Revival style building. The imposing three-story brick building is embellished with multi-light windows, stone trim, and two-story stone columns. The main importance of the building is due to its association with T. J. Farr, the first administrative chair of the Education Department at the university. Farr’s office was in the building from 1929 until his retirement in 1962. He published extensively; promoted effective teaching methods, primarily for the rural areas of Tennessee; established the university’s poetry society; and was a founder, writer, and major advocate of the Tennessee Folklore Society. Farr became the first dean elected for the education department in 1949. In 1971 the university renamed the building the T. J. Farr building in honor of him.
Kern’s Bakery was established by Peter Kern in the 1860s in Knoxville. By 1931, when the current building was constructed on the Chapman Highway, Kern’s was owned by Brown-Greer & Company. The new building included offices, factory space, and a loading area. Having little ornamentation or embellishment on the façade, the new two-story brick building reflected the ideals of clean and modern manufacturing. Kern’s location on a major highway acted as a billboard advertising the company’s fresh baked breads. The company expanded their markets to other cities and states in the Southeast and the Kern’s brand was well-known in the region. The bakery was purchased by Sara Lee in 1989 and stopped production in 2012. Current plans are to redevelop the property using the preservation tax incentives.