Solid Waste Policy and Guidance Manual
A new TDEC Bureau of Environment policy for the development of policies and guidance became effective on August 7, 2017. Policies and guidance existing before August 7, 2017 will remain for use until reviews can be completed resulting in reissuance or rescission.
The Division of Solid Waste Management – Solid Waste Program “Policy and Guidance Manual” is a compendium of policy and guidance documents developed throughout the years. Some of the topics addressed in the Manual offer regulatory clarifications on certain rules, establish Best Management Practices, and create references for intra-TDEC agreements on divisional roles. The current process for a policy or guidance to be adopted (or revised) includes a series of internal reviews, stakeholder input, and requires presentation to the Underground Storage Tanks and Solid Waste Disposal Control Board. Updates to the “Policy and Guidance Manual” happen at various times during the year. Below is a list of the most recently updated and adopted policies and guidance documents, as well as several Solid Waste Program memorandums not found in the Manual.
- Special Waste Guidance – Policy Number 135 (signed May 13, 2016)
- Revision 2 to the Asbestos Memorandum of Agreement between the Division of Air Pollution Control and the Division of Solid Waste Management – Policy Number 087 (signed May 6, 2016)
- Storage of Solid Waste Incidental to Recycling, Reuse, Reclamation or Salvage Guidance – Policy Number 136 (signed May 5, 2016)
- Revision 3 to the Asbestos-Containing Waste Material Disposal Policy – Policy Number 043 (signed February 22, 2016)
- Domestic Sewage Exclusion Regulatory Clarification – MEMORANDUM (signed December 11, 2015)
- Special Waste Criteria for Class I Landfill Disposal of Domestic Birds Infected by Avian Influenza – MEMORANDUM (signed September 15, 2015)
- Policy for Automobile Shredder Residue as an Alternate Daily Cover at Class I Landfills – Policy Number 134 (signed August 27, 2015)