Individualized Education Account Program
The Individual Education Act, adopted by the General Assembly in 2015 (Public Chapter 431), creates the Individualized Education Account Program and related accounts (IEAs) for eligible students with disabilities to use for educational purposes. The program provides options for parents and students to choose the education opportunities that best meet their own unique needs through access to public education funds.
For more detailed information about the program, please review the IEA Frequently Asked Questions, which will be updated periodically with additional questions and answers.
The first IEAs will be awarded in January 2017 after the development and adoption of implementation rules, policies, and procedures. Instructions for enrollment in the IEA program will be posted on this webpage in summer 2016.
For information about educational services and programs for students with special education needs, please visit the department’s Special Education webpage.
If you have questions about the IEA program, please contact IEA.Questions@tn.gov
Rules for the Individualized Education Account Program
On Jan. 29th, the State Board of Education (SBE) approved on final read the proposed Rules for the IEA Program. The rules will now move into the next stage of the rulemaking process and are expected to become effective this summer. The proposed rules are posted on the SBE web site.
Proposed IEA Program Procedures, Parent Handbook, and Provider Handbook
The public comment period for the handbooks and procedures that will be effective in the 2016-17 school year closed on March 11, 2016.
The department will review all the comments and will use the feedback to inform revisions to the procedures and the handbooks. The procedures and handbooks effective for the 2016-17 school year will be posted on the IEA webpage this summer once the IEA Program Rules are approved.
The department is committed to an ongoing review of the procedures and handbooks. You can submit feedback on the handbooks and procedures at any time by emailing your comments to IEA.Questions@tn.gov.
Note: The documents listed below are draft versions for public review. They are not final drafts and may not include all the information that will be in the final drafts. Highlighted content in the handbooks indicates content that will be added at a later date. For example, the information about how funds will be distributed to the IEA accounts will be added to the handbooks at a later date along with the information about the electronic portal that parents, students, and providers will use to submit all their documentation to the department.
- Draft: IEA Program Procedures
- Draft: IEA Parent Handbook
- Appendix A: Tennessee Department of Education Responsibilities
- Appendix B: Jan. 1 – June 30, 2017 IEA Timeline
- Appendix C: Amount of IEA Awards [To be determined]
- Appendix D: Student Application
- Appendix E: IEA Account Holder Contract
- Appendix F: Appeal Form
- Appendix G: Parent/Guardian and Student Information Update Form
- Appendix H: Notice of School Transfer Form
- Appendix I: Assessment Verification Form
- Appendix J: Tutoring Services Agreement Form
- Appendix K: Curriculum Pre-Approval Request Form
- Appendix L: Computer Hardware Tennessee Department of Education Pre-Approval Form
- Appendix M: Computer Hardware Physician Pre-Approval Form
- Appendix N: Educational Therapies and Services Pre-Approval & Agreement Form
- Appendix O: Tutor Subject Add Request Form
- Appendix P: Expense Report Form & Attestation Form
- Appendix Q: Participating Schools Required Textbooks Affidavit Form
- Appendix R: Student Withdrawal from IEA Program Form
- Appendix S: 2017-18 Student IEA Renewal Application
- Appendix T: Postsecondary Institution Required Textbooks Affidavit Form
- Appendix U: IEA State Law – Public Chapter 431
- Appendix V: IEA Program Rules - Chapter 0520-01-11
- Appendix W: Field Trip Pre-Approval Form
- Appendix X: IEA Program Procedures
- Draft: IEA Provider Handbook