Direct Support Professionals Association of Tennessee
The Direct Support Professional Association of Tennessee (DSPAT) and the Tennessee Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) have a DSP recognition program: Outstanding Tennessee DSP. The program honors performance.
- Monthly Awards: 3 winners from each region of the state (West, Middle and East)
- Quarterly Awards: 1 winner from each region
- Pat on the Back Awards: 75 awards per year covering all regions
- Above and Beyond Awards: 9 awards per year covering all regions
- Anyone can recommend a DSP for an award – employers, families, co-workers, a DIDD employee. Requirements for nomination are:
- Excellent attendance record
- Volunteers for overtime when needed
- Takes extra training to improve skills
- Exceptional relationship with the person(s) supported
- Supports the person(s) in special activities
- Has a good relationship with co-workers
The nominated DSP is passed along to a selection committee. All information which might identify that DSP is removed. The committee grades and chooses a person for an award.