Tennessee HOPE Scholarship for Home School and Category IV, V & VI Non-Public Schools
TN Home School (Category IV, V & VI Non-Public Schools) and Category III On-line School Requirements:
Home School Student:
- A student who is completing high school in a Tennessee home school program meeting the requirements of §49-6-3050. For one (1) year immediately preceding completion of high school as a home school student, such student shall have been a student in a home school associated with a church-related school as defined by §49-50-801; or
- A student who is completing high school in a Tennessee home school program meeting the requirements of §49-6-3050. For one (1) year immediately preceding completion of high school as an independent home school student whose parent or guardian has given notice to the local director of a Tennessee school district under § 49-6-3050(b)(1) of intent to conduct a home school.
- For independent non-church related home schools in which a parent or guardian has given notice to the local school district, Click Here to download the confirmation enrollment notice form. The home school notice form must be completed and signed by the TN local school district and faxed to the number indicated on the form before HOPE Scholarship eligibility is established.
To access the code relevant to the Tennessee Code Annotated: Click Here, then the following:
TCA §49-6-3050 TCA §49-50-801
Title 49 Education Title 49 Education
Chapter 6 Elem. & Sec. Educ. Chapter 50 Miscellaneous
Part 30 Attendance Part 8 Private Schools
For HOPE Scholarship eligibility, a homeschool student must:
- Be enrolled as a homeschool student in a homeschool program for a minimum of one (1) year prior to graduating. The student must achieve a 21 Composite score or above, on a national test date for the ACT test (or concordant equivalent score on the SAT on a national test date) for HOPE Scholarship consideration. The student does not need to submit a grade point average as this is not a consideration. For more information, please call 1-800-342-1663 or (615)741-1346.
For General Assembly Merit Scholarship (GAMS) eligibility, a homeschool student must:
- In addition to meeting the HOPE scholarship requirements, during the course of a home school program:
- The student must achieve a 29 Composite score or above, on a national test date for the ACT test (or concordant equivalent score on the SAT on a national test date) for GAMS consideration; AND
- Enroll in at least four (4) dual enrollment courses totaling at least twelve (12) semester hours at an eligible postsecondary institution and achieve a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0; OR
- Participate in a Governor’s School program, and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0; OR
- Take two (2) Advanced Placement (AP) exams and make a score of at least three (3); OR
- Take one (1) College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) test and make a score of at least 55
Dual Enrollment Information:
The Dual Enrollment Grant program is defined as a grant for study at an eligible postsecondary institution that is funded from net proceeds of the state lottery and awarded to students who are attending high school and who are also enrolled in college courses at eligible postsecondary institutions for which they will receive college credit.
The Dual Enrollment Grant program is funded by the Tennessee Lottery and administered by the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation. This program provides opportunities for students to begin working toward a college degree, while still pursuing a high school diploma, and encourages post-secondary education and the acceleration of post-secondary attainment. For further information on Dual Enrollment, please Click Here.
For additional information on the HOPE Scholarship, please Click Here.