Helping Heroes Grant
The award amount is $1,000 per semester for a student who successfully completes twelve (12) or more semester hours with no failing grade as the final grade for the course. The student shall receive $500 per semester for successfully completing six (6) to eleven (11) semester hours with no failing grade as a final grade for the course. The student shall not receive an award if enrolled in fewer than six (6) semester hours.
The Helping Heroes Grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to be eligible, the student must:
- Be an honorably discharged veteran who had formally served the armed forces of the United States, or a former or current member of a reserve or Tennessee National Guard unit who was called into active military service of the United States
- Be a Tennessee resident for one year preceding the date of application for this grant
- Be awarded the following:
- Iraq Campaign Medal;
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal; or
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, on or after Sept. 11, 2001
- Enroll at an eligible 2-year or 4-year postsecondary institution (Click Here for a listing.)
- Have not earned a baccalaureate degree;
- Not be in default on a federal Title IV educational loan or Tennessee educational loan;
- Not owe a refund on a federal Title IV student financial aid program or a Tennessee student financial aid program;
- Be in compliance with federal drug-free rules and laws for receiving financial assistance;
- Not be incarcerated;
- Meet each qualification relating to this grant and applicable to the student; and
- Not be required to meet any academic standard at the time of enrollment in order to be eligible for this grant.
- Award of a Helping Heroes Grant shall be made after the completion of a semester, so long as the student successfully completes the course with a non-failing grade as the final grade for the course.
Complete the application for a Helping Heroes Grant for each academic year. The application processing deadline are: September 1 (or the following business day) for fall enrollment, February 1 (or the following business day) for spring, or May 1 (or the following business day) for summer enrollment. Please mail your DD-214 to the address below or fax it to the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation at (615) 741-6101.
Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1510
Nashville, TN 37243
- Successful completion of six (6) or more semester hours while enrolled at an eligible 2-year or 4-year postsecondary institution with no failing grade as the final grade for the courses
- Grant may be awarded for a maximum of eight (8) “full” semesters; 6-11 semester hours completed constitutes ½ semester
- Grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis
Award Termination Criteria:
- Receive the award for eight (8) full semesters have passed; or
- Eighth anniversary of the veteran’s honorable discharge from military service; whichever comes first; or
- Earning a baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first