Shield of Care™ Training Materials
Shield of Care™ — Training Materials
Below are all the materials you will need to provide the Shield of Care™ training:
1. Trainer's manual
2. Participant workbook
3. Click here for instructions on how to use the power point.
4. Power point with video.zip (Note: Make sure to click on instructions FIRST and read.)
5. Wallet cards
6. Poster PDFs of the Shield of Care™ S-Plan can be downloaded for printing. Click here for 11 X 17 inch version, and click here for an 8 X 11 inch poster. The posters are intended to be placed in staff break-out rooms, conference and or treatment planning spaces.
7. Shield of Care™ Trainer's Form (Please make sure you complete all sections before mailing it and the evaluations)
8. Evaluation and Consent form
Please download and make as many copies as you need.
(The documents that you need multiple copies of, one for each participant, are the participant workbook, wallet cards and the evaluation/consent)
The Shield of Care™ is copyrighted by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (TDMHSAS). It is an eight hour curriculum intended to be used in its entirety. The video, "Second Glances" was intentionally embedded in the power point presentation to help participants understand the different levels of suicide risk. In addition, this training includes many interactive exercises to help the participant understand various concepts in suicide prevention.
We believe that a seasoned mental health professional with suicide prevention training experience can use this curriculum by reading/studying the trainer's manual. In some cases a "Train the Trainer" may be arranged.
The Shield of Care™ has been accepted as a "Best Practice" and is listed on the Suicide Prevention Resource Center's Best Practice Registry.
The TDMHSAS is conducting on-going evaluation, in order to have the data necessary to be placed on an Evidenced-Based Registry, we need your agreement to assure that all participants are given the pre-posttest survey and that these surveys and the Shield of Care™ Trainer's Form are mailed within 30 days to the attention of:
Lygia Williams, M.A.
Tennessee Lives Count
Office of Crisis Services and Suicide Prevention
Tennessee Department of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services
500 Deadrick Street
Andrew Jackson Building, 5th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
We would also appreciate receiving a brief e-mail when you decide to use the Shield of Care™. Please let us know your contact information, what facilities and state will receive the training and the number of staff you intend to train.
If you have any questions regarding the Shield of Care™, please feel free to contact Lygia Williams at the above address or by phone, (615) 253-5078.